Sunday, June 17, 2012

CQJP 2012 blocks - June update

Well here are 5 more of the CQJP 2012 blocks.
I've tried to stay in the same color palette for the entire project so that the finished piece has more unity.

 This block is fairly self explanatory.  I have the feeling that it is unfinished in some way so I may add or subtract something.  The blue strip looks like a canal cutting through the landscape.  I'll think about it for a while and see what it needs.
Here I've used an antique doiley and embroidered around it to add some unity to the block.
In the bottom right corner is a pressed paper flower from Prima Marketing.  These are designed for use in scrapbooking and paper arts but they are very thick and look wonderful on a crazy quilt.
Another Prima flower and a hand dyed lace flower anchor this block.  Again, this feels unfinished and I'm not sure why.
 I really like this block.  I found the central lace motif on the floor of a thrift store!
The mauve ribbon is one of my favourites.  It's polyester or nylon and I can't remember where I brought it.  It is a perfect Victorian mauve and a wonderful drape that makes it perfect for covering seams.
 I cut the blue embroidered flower from some tulle yardage that I found in Hancocks Fabric on sale for 90% off.  I added hand embroidered details to give it some depth.
For some reason I chose to make all the blocks different sizes.  this will pose a challenge when setting them because I don't want to use sashing to divide the blocks.  I'd really like the blocks to touch each other and then embroider over the seams.   I have an idea about how to proceed and will experiment and post photos of the results.